All Blogs,Digital Marketing, - August 06, 2020
Mobile eCommerce Trends for 2020
Expert Tips For Mobile eCommerce Trend
As a digital marketing agency that helps several eCommerce sites with their marketing efforts every day, we’re always staying on top of the industry’s latest trends. And in 2020, both eCommerce and click and mortar shopping is becoming increasingly mobile.
In fact, Shopify recently reported that 82% of smartphone users stop to physically consult information on their smartphones when they’re standing in brick and mortar stores about to make a purchasing decision. With the power of mobile devices having such a strong influence on both brick and mortar and online purchases, it’s clear you need a mobile strategy and omni-channel strategy to successfully address both shopping scenarios.
To help you make the best mobile eCommerce decisions possible, here are the top 4 trends we’re seeing in mobile shopping thus far in 2020.
- If You’re Not Anticipating Omni-Channel Shoppers, You’re Missing Out
Your business doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and neither do your customers. Today’s eCommerce websites and click and mortars need to be using an omnichannel marketing strategy to get their brand message in front of customers wherever they are, whenever they are.
Depending on your business size and brand, you may want to leverage a variety of digital and physical marketing channels, including:
- Ads optimized on mobile, especially for Pay-Per-Click and social media advertising.
- Remarketing ads for both mobile and desktop devices.
- Inbound marketing options such as SEO blogs on content relevant to your brand.
- Email marketing such as drip campaigns to prospects and customers.
- Out-of-home advertising such as billboards, bulletins, and bus shelters.
- TV ads or YouTube pre-roll ads.
- Radio ads.
- Point-of-Sale displays in physical stores.
When you have a good, omnichannel marketing mix, you can ensure that your customers are seeing or hearing your brand message wherever they are.
- Simple Mobile Websites with Native Mobile eCheckouts Make it Easier for Customers to Buy Your Products
Today’s click and mortar shopper may be physically holding your product in his or her hand, but want to quickly jump on your website to read detailed product specs or watch a short product video before making a purchasing decision.
This means your mobile site needs to be easy to use, quick to load, and have all relevant information just a tap or swipe away.
When it comes to prioritizing these efforts, it’s clear that increasing the speed at which your mobile site loads takes center stage. Use smaller images so that your mobile website loads faster because today’s shoppers aren’t patient. In fact, BigCommerce found out that 40% of online shoppers will leave a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
Your eCommerce checkout process should also be as frictionless as possible. For your mobile site, this means it should only take a few taps for your customers to go from viewing your products to purchasing them.
Thankfully, nearly everyone in the industry has adopted responsive design by now, so pinching and zooming in online carts is a thing of the past. But additional tips to make it easier for your customers to buy from your eCommerce website include:
- Allowing customers to create accounts on your checkout site, so repeat customers can simply log in to load their preferred shipping and payment details.
- Limiting the number of forms customers need to fill into only the essentials.
- Using smaller sized images so that pages load faster. Long eCheckout times increase abandoned shopping carts.
- Accepting a variety of payment options that mobile users love, such as PayPal, Apple Pay, and Android Pay.
- Social Marketing + Social Selling = Big Wins
Shopify recently reported that 55% of eCommerce shoppers bought a product after first learning about it on social media. This data point tells you just how important your social media strategy – both for organic and paid content – is when it comes to finding new prospects and converting them into paying customers who will hopefully keep on coming back for more of your products.
A great social selling technique to explore is shoppable Instagram posts – if that makes sense for your brand. For many eCommerce sites that are targeting Millennials and young GenXers, Instagram is a great social selling platform.
Other social selling tactics include:
- Offering special coupons or discount codes exclusively through your social media channels.
- Working with Influencers – especially on Instagram – to use your products and post about them with great content, compelling images, and carefully curated hashtags.
- If you’re selling to Gen Z, having an Influencer take over your brand’s Snapchat account or sponsoring videos posted by popular YouTubers with a strong following.
- Using social media remarketing ads to remind people about your products if they visited your website recently but didn’t make a purchase.
- Create Mobile Apps that Offer Customer Loyalty Programs
Mobile apps for click and mortars and even strictly brick and mortars that offer customer loyalty programs are now bigger than ever. You’d be surprised what shoppers will download and install on their mobile device to earn a free coffee, get 5% off a purchase, or play on gamified mobile apps.
Everyone from big box stores to gas stations to grocery stores are creating mobile apps in which customers can find deals, redeem a nominal coupon, or get a preview at your click and mortar’s Sunday ads.
And if you aren’t already using mobile apps for a click and mortar customer loyalty program, you need to develop one now. These types of mobile apps give you a wealth of consumer data, allowing you to more accurately create customer profiles for your business, forecast product sales, purchase the right amount of inventory, and make the most timely promotions that’ll fly off your physical (and virtual) shelves.
Contact Us for Help with a Mobile eCommerce Marketing Strategy
Whether you’re having a hard time developing the right marketing mix for the omnichannel or need assistance with your eCommerce website, we’re digital marketing experts who can help.
Not big on reading? That’s okay. Watch “Mobile eCommerce Trends for 2020” instead.
Using the power of Artificial Intelligence, we turned this blog into a video for you. Check it out below!